Arsenal have reportedly moved ahead of Premier League rivals Chelsea and Manchester City in signing Villarreal center-back Pau Torres
The Spaniard, 22, has caught the eye of Unai Emery and Arsenal’s scouting staff after the young defender – rewarded with a five-year contract in the summer – made an impressive start to the La Liga campaign.
Former Gunners’ midfielder and fan-favorite Santi Cazorla, now of Villarreal himself, is thought to have alerted Arsenal to the burgeoning talent of Torres.
90min report: ‘Arsenal have already expressed a strong interest in Torres and they’re considering making a move for the defender next summer’.
Thanks to a release clause in his contract, Torres is available from €50m but Arsenal will be looking to bring the price down in any prospective deal.
Torres has played every minute of Villarreal’s league campaign so far and the center-back opened his account for the Yellow Submarine in May against Osasuna.
His eye-catching displays this season have seen the 6ft 4in defender earn a call-up to the Spain national team, despite Torres not being a regular feature among the youth set-up.
- Official: Juventus Sack Sarri After Stunning Champions League Failure
- Man United Were Interested In Signing Ake Before Rivals Man City Hijacked Him
- ‘No contact’ from Manchester United over Sancho, Dortmund CEO Clarifies
- Essien, Salah and African Stars Seek help For victims Of Beirut Explosion (Video)
- Manchester United Considering Three Options Over Odion Ighalo’s Future Amid FIFA Proposals