Messi scored a hat-trick to give Argentina a 3-0 win over Bolivia in a World Cup qualifier on Thursday, lifting him above Pele as South America’s top international scorer with 79 goals.
Messi got the opener after 14 minutes in Buenos Aires, dancing around the Bolivian defence before curling the ball into the net from just outside the box.
- Manchester United vs West Ham: Confirmed lineups
- “That’s not a problem with me” – Noble speaks on penalty he missed against United
- Barcelona interested in Manchester United attacker
- Manchester United name Elanga and Alex Telles in squad to face West Ham
- “People are suggesting he’s bigger than Man United” – Simon Jordan reacts to Cristiano’s touchline incident
He made it 2-0 in the 64th minute after working a one-two with Lautaro Martinez and displaying superb footwork in a packed penalty box, then completed the hat-trick with two minutes left, crashing home a rebound from close range.
His 77th, 78th and 79th goals marked his seventh hat-trick for the national side and took him two above Pele in the South American scoring charts.