- Koeman has vowed to identify and punish whoever is responsible
- He said have noticed that Messi was very motivated
Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman has claimed that there are people who want to hurt Barcelona and Leo Messi after El Mundo reported Messi’s current deal is worth a whopping €555 million (£491m/$674m), including €138m (£112m/$167m) in annual earnings on Sunday.
- Chelsea manager reveals he is ‘not the guy’ to speaks on the Blues’ involvement in Super League
- Leeds United 1-1 Liverpool Highlight
- UEFA president claims ‘there could Champions League without European Super League clubs’
“Whoever has leaked Messi’s contract cannot have a future at Barca,” Koeman said after the encounter. “What has come out in the press about Messi was done maliciously.
“We have to try to know how this could have come out in the press. We have to concentrate on our season. The team’s been fine lately. We won a lot of games. We don’t have to focus on this issue, but there are people who want to hurt Barca and Leo.
“Messi has been demonstrating his quality as a footballer for years, has helped a lot to make this club great and has helped a lot to win titles.”
Koeman denied that the publication gave the 33-year-old Argentine any extra motivation on the field.
“I’ve noticed that Messi was very motivated, but not more than for other games,” the Dutchman added.
“Of course today’s news could have affected him. You have to respect the important players who have done so much for this club.
“Leo is a winner, he always wants to prove his quality. It’s important to be united.”