Manchester United have reportedly suffered a blow after Raphael Varane was forced off in the Nations League final with injury, ahead of a potentially pivotal run of fixtures for the Red Devils.
The centre-back had played the full 90 minutes in the dramatic, semi-final comeback victory over Belgium on Thursday, before having to be withdrawn just before the break in the showpiece against Spain on Sunday evening.
- Chelsea boss risks FA charge over comments about referee before Brentford win
- Arsenal vs Crystal Palace: Team news, possible line-up
- ‘Bring the kid back’ – Arsenal fans make Guendouzi point after masterclass
- Arsenal legend reveals who inspired his coaching career
- Condition! Solskjaer to be given £70m January transfer kitty only if
In his absence, Didier Deschamps’ men once again came from behind to secure victory in an enthralling second-half encounter, as Karim Benzema’s equaliser and Kylian Mbappe’s controversial winner ensured another major honour for Les Blues, after Mikel Oyarzabal had briefly given Luis Enrique’s side the lead.
Varane was pictured with ice on his right thigh as he watched on from the bench during that eventful second period, with the former Real Madrid man seemingly pulling up while running unopposed, much to the concern of his current club and supporters.
The defender – who has started every Premier League game for United since sitting out the 1-1 draw at Southampton on 22 August – will be assessed on his return to the club’s Carrington training ground later in the week.