Bruno Fernandes has completed his £46.5million move to Manchester Unitedon a five-and-a-half year contract with the option of an additional year.
According to ManchesterEveningNews, Fernandes, 25, flew into Manchester on Wednesday evening and was driven into United’s Carrington training complex on Thursday morning to undergo a medical and sign his deal. His representatives, Miguel Pinho and Rui Guimaraes, posted a picture of Fernandes with his contract on Instagram before United’s announcement.
United could end up paying €80m (£67.3m) for Fernandes, who will become the sixth Portuguese to play for the club, after Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani, Bebe, Joel Pereira and Diogo Dalot.
The Portugal international told the United website: “My love of Manchester United really started when I used to watch Cristiano Ronaldo play and ever since then I have been a big fan of this great club.
“For me to now play for Manchester United feels incredible, I have worked hard to get to this moment and I can promise the fans that I will give everything for the badge to help bring us more success and trophies.
“I want to thank Sporting for everything they have done for me. It is surreal to hear the nice words that have been said about me from players that used to play for this team.
“A massive thank you to Ole and everyone at Manchester United for the trust they have shown in me and I can’t wait to start to repay that on the pitch.”