Real Madrid established a two-point lead over Barcelona in the La Liga title race by beating Espanyol on Sunday night, thanks to Casemiro’s composed finish.
Los Blancos were largely dominant in terms of possession and shots taken but left it until the 45th minute to take the lead, with midfielder Casemiro latching onto Karim Benzema’s brilliant backheel to fire the visitors in front.
Real were previously only ahead of Barcelona by virtue of their better head to head record, but La Blaugrana’s slip up on Saturday at Celta Vigo handed the Madrid side the chance to turn their lead into a more solid one.
The victory was Real’s 104th against Espanyol – they are the only club to have beaten a team 100 times in Spain’s top flight. The result means the Catalonian side remain rooted at the bottom of La Liga, ten points adrift of 17th-placed Celta Vigo with just six games remaining.
- Patrice Evra explains why Paul Pogba is “smiling again” at Man Utd (Sun)
- “Game changer” – Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hails Bruno Fernandes
- Chelsea unveil new home kit and new sponsor for 2020/21 season
- Zidane warns Real Madrid over their standing
- OFFICIAL: Arsenal sign new long-term contract with starlet Bukayo Saka