Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backed Cristiano Ronaldo to form an “exciting” partnership with Edinson Cavani which will unlock deep-lying Premier League defences.
The two forwards are yet to be on the pitch at the same time for Manchester United, with Cavani ruled out with a knock since Ronaldo’s return to Old Trafford.
- Richard Hughes: Cristiano Ronaldo headbutted me and got sent off, it’s a career highlight for me
- Azpilicueta in advanced transfer talks over free Barcelona move in January
- Atletico Madrid to battle Liverpool, Manchester United for 18-year-old striker
- Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic tests positive for coronavirus
- Robert Lewandowski targeting goalscoring record against Barcelona in Wednesday’s Champions League clash
But the Uruguayan has returned to fitness ahead of Saturday’s clash with Aston Villa, meaning he could line up alongside the five-time Ballon d’Or winner for the first time.
Solskjaer is delighted to have the two experienced forwards at his disposal and provided a glimpse of how he could unleash them together.
“It’s exciting and exciting to see those two together,” Solskjaer said of Ronaldo and Cavani on Friday.
“I’m sure that’ll be a good partnership as well, we see teams dropping deep against us, not giving space in behind and they’re two boys you’d like to see in that scenario, I can see those two working well together.”
Solskjaer’s comments suggest he could turn to Ronaldo and Cavani as a physical two-man battering ram if the likes of Bruno Fernandes and Mason Greenwood are having no joy against deep blocks.
Former Portsmouth star Richard Hughes has revealed being headbutted by Cristiano Ronaldo was one...
Cesar Azpilicueta is reportedly in advanced talks with Barcelona over a move at the...
Atletico Madrid have reportedly joined the race for Manchester United and Liverpool-connected forward Ricardo...
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has uncovered that Mateo Kovacic has been tested positive for...