Chelsea have reportedly identified Juventus centre-back Matthijs de Ligt as a potential signing during next summer’s transfer window.
The Blues are keen to bring a new defender to the club in 2022 and could be priced out of a deal for Sevilla’s Jules Kounde, with the Spanish outfit said to be holding firm in terms of their asking price.
- Manchester United vs West Ham: Confirmed lineups
- “That’s not a problem with me” – Noble speaks on penalty he missed against United
- Barcelona interested in Manchester United attacker
- Manchester United name Elanga and Alex Telles in squad to face West Ham
- “People are suggesting he’s bigger than Man United” – Simon Jordan reacts to Cristiano’s touchline incident
According to Calciomercato, De Ligt has emerged as a potential alternative, and Chelsea could use Timo Werner as a makeweight in a move for the Netherlands international.
The report claims that the Champions League holders would be willing to offer €18m (£15.4m) plus Werner for De Ligt, who was linked with a move to the Premier League before leaving Ajax.
The 22-year-old has made 77 appearances for Juventus during his time in Turin, winning one Serie A title and one Coppa Italia for the Italian giants.
De Ligt, who still has three years left to run on his current deal, has featured against Udinese and Empoli in the league this season.