Cody Gakpo has proposed that he may as yet leave PSV Eindhoven and join Manchester United – notwithstanding Antony‘s forthcoming transfer to Old Trafford.
Antony is presently ready to join United in a €100million (£84m) bargain from Ajax. The Brazilian winger has been pushing for the move and frantically needs to be brought together with Erik ten Hag in the Premier League.
The 22-year-old’s huge cash move to United was perceived to have pushed Gakpo onto the sideline.
Nonetheless, there remains some uncertainty around the situation, with the likelihood that United could sign Gakpo too being given validity by the winger’s own words toward the end of the week.
Gakpo scored and got two assists in PSV’s 6-1 win over Excelsior on Sunday prior to addressing ESPN about his future.
“It’s going to be hectic, I think. There is interest, but I have always said that the whole picture has to be right.
“It is a puzzle. I have to see which puzzle is the most correct.” he said.
“But there are also other options. United is a serious option. I hear it all. I try to close myself off, but that is difficult.” Asked if Antony’s move affected his future, Gakpo said: “No, that doesn’t matter to me. Nice for him, anyway.”
Gakpo is of interest from United, Southampton, Everton and Leeds United. According to The Athletic, Saints are the only club to have submitted a concrete proposal to PSV for Gakpo, which was rejected, but movement is expected before the transfer deadline at 11pm on Thursday.
PSV Eindhoven manager Ruud van Nistelrooy admitted on Sunday that he could still lose his star player before the window closes.
“You know how things are going in the last week, certainly from the English market a lot is still happening,” he told ESPN.
“We are quietly looking at what will happen. There is nothing as long as nothing is concrete, that is the situation. Decisions are already being made.”
Chelsea drops Fofana update after initial tests on knee injury
Wesley Fofana’s knee injury is better than initially feared after the first set of tests returned positive results.
The defender suffered a knee injury in a collision with Rafael Leao in the 38th minute of Chelsea’s 3-0 home win against AC Milan, as his night ended in frustrating fashion having scored his first goal for the club earlier in the match.
There is hope that Fofana could return before the World Cup, with Chelsea’s final match before the tournament taking place away to Newcastle on November 12.
The centre-back is likely to miss this weekend’s clash against Wolves and the away match at San Siro against Milan next week.
Fofana was seen leaving Stamford Bridge on crutches on Wednesday night, with his right knee in a brace as there were worries he may have suffered a serious injury.
Speaking in his post-match press conference after Chelsea’s victory over Milan, Blues boss Graham Potter admitted he was unsure how bad it would prove to be for Fofana.
‘We’ll have to scan it tomorrow and see how he is but there’s nothing to report at the moment,” Potter said.
“That’s the one disappointing thing about the evening so we have our fingers crossed. We’re concerned but I don’t want to speculate on it now.
“These things happen. He’s a young guy and a strong guy but we’ll support him.”
Erik ten Hag explains decision to substitute Jadon Sancho in Omonia victory
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confessed that he was unimpressed with the left side of his team in the first half of Thursday’s 3-2 victory over Omonia Nicosia, leading to him substituting both Jadon Sancho and Tyrell Malacia at half-time.
United were woeful in the first half and trailed at the break after Sancho and Malacia conspired to give away the ball for the cheapest of counter-attack goals, and both were hooked at the interval.
Sancho was replaced by Marcus Rashford, who went on to bag a goal and an assist, while fellow substitute Anthony Martial also scored just moments after being introduced on the hour mark.
Asked to explain his logic behind removing Sancho while his team were losing, Ten Hag said: “It [the goal] was not what I wasn’t happy with, it was the movement with our ball.
“The width on the left side, for me, was no good first-half – the movement from behind the defending line.
“So I hoped with Luke [Shaw] and Marcus we get more effect from that and so in my opinion that happens.”
Asked what he told Rashford and the rest of the team at the break to inspire a comeback, Ten Hag told BT Sport: “More runs, we are too static, we have to make the opposition move to get behind – that is why we made two subs.
“The subs really had an impact today.”
The boss added: “I would call it stay composed. It can always happen, football is a game of mistakes. I agree with you, first 30 or 35 minutes, we played quite well, the only thing we didn’t do was score a goal.
“When you score a goal you make your life easy, we didn’t. Then we concede a goal and it was the worst 10 minutes from the game from us. After half-time, we dealt well with the setback.”
Serena Williams vs Venus Williams: Who is the better tennis, Learn about Serena
Michael Jordan’s Expensive and Luxurious Car Collection
Europa League & Europa Conference League roundup: 06/10/22
Best site to watch football live (Free and premium)
Best app to buy sports tickets 2022
10 Footballers who went to university during their careers
Football1 week ago
Argentina 3-0 Jamaica: Leo Messi nets brace (Highlights)
EPL4 days ago
Twitter reacts as Haaland and Foden score hat-tricks in thumping Manchester derby win
EPL2 weeks ago
Bukayo Saka named England Men’s Player of the Year
EPL2 weeks ago
Richarlison reflects on decision to join Tottenham amid Arsenal & Chelsea interest
EPL5 days ago
Wilfried Zaha hits back at Reece James in social media spat