Federico Bernardeschi has revealed he had multiple offers after leaving Juventus, but the ambition of Toronto FC and Major League Soccer played a key role in his move across the Atlantic.
The 28-year-old Italy international was one of a number of eye-catching additions for TFC this summer alongside compatriots Lorenzo Insigne – who agreed a contract earlier in the year – and Domenico Criscito.
Speaking to TLN, Bernardeschi has revealed he turned down other offers from ‘important’ clubs to move to Toronto.
“I believe that I finished a journey at Juventus. There were various teams we spoke to, and various teams that came forward,” he said.
“They’re important names and I thank them, but there were little things that didn’t work out one way or another. With Toronto, everything went smoothly.”
Though TFC have continued to struggle, Bernardeschi has made an excellent start in MLS, scoring eight goals and assisting another two in his first 11 appearances.
That’s given the forward plenty of time to evaluate the quality of the league, and Bernardeschi has certainly been impressed by MLS so far.
“I think MLS has a great future, I think they have very big projects, not only here in Toronto as they’re showing, but for the entire league,” he said.
“This is good for all football worldwide but especially for football and sport in North America. It is beautiful to see and for sure it’s beautiful to be a part of.”
Watch the story of Charlotte FC’s journey to MLS in 90min’s The Making of Charlotte FC, presented by DoorDash, on 90min channels now. Subscribe to our new US YouTube channel.
Andrea Agnelli & Pavel Nedved among Juventus directors to offer shock resignation
Juventus have been rocked by the stunning resignations of their entire board, including president Andrea Agnelli and vice-president Pavel Nedved.
Numerous reports in Italy claim that the entire Juventus board of directors offered their shock resignations during a meeting on Monday evening.
CEO Maurizio Arrivabene is expected to remain at the club and assume control of Juventus while the new boardroom structure is finalised over the coming months.
Agnelli became Juventus chairman in 2010 and is also vice-chairman of the European Super League, having represented one of the three remaining supporters of the competition alongside Real Madrid and Barcelona.
His attachment to the Super League has attracted significant criticism, as has his management of Juventus, who have spent heavily in recent years but have fallen behind their rivals, both in Serie A and in Europe.
Juventus finished fourth in Serie A last season and entered the World Cup break in third, ten points behind leaders Napoli.
Joe Rodon ready for challenge of facing ‘world class’ England captain Harry Kane
Cameroon release statement over Andre Onana departure
Player ratings as Fernandes double secures qualification
Best site to watch football live (Free and premium)
Best app to buy sports tickets 2022
10 Footballers who went to university during their careers
BUNDESLIGA1 week ago
Youssoufa Moukoko discusses Borussia Dortmund future
EPL2 weeks ago
‘Everyone always speaks’ – Bruno Fernandes breaks silence on Ronaldo handshake [Details]
Football7 days ago
Lionel Messi speaks out after Argentina lose to Saudi Arabia
Football2 weeks ago
Portugal vs Nigeria: Confirmed lineups
Football1 week ago
The best goals from 2022 World Cup Matchday 1