Connect with us

Updates

Jurgen Klopp delivers positive assessment of Liverpool’s win over Southampton

Published

on


Jurgen Klopp praised the first half performance of his Liverpool side as they scored three goals to see off Southampton at Anfield, but was not quite as impressed with the second.

Klopp was not in the dugout for the match on Saturday, having been issued a one-match touchline ban, but the Reds were able to perform without their manager spurring them on and raced into a 3-1 lead before half-time.

Darwin Nunez was on the scoresheet twice for Liverpool, and Klopp took the time to praise the Uruguayan for his contribution in particular.

Advertisement

“The first half was really good and the second half is not a half where we win the football Oscar for us,” Klopp told Liverpool’s official website.

“We made a lot of mistakes in the second half – first half was really good.”

On Nunez, Klopp said: “In the system we play Darwin has to defend the left-wing, we cannot change that, but when he’s offensive then it’s only for balls in behind the wing [he] might be in position but in all situations, he has to be in the centre.

“That’s where he was in that moment with the third goal as well. So, great play.”

Advertisement

The victory saw Liverpool return to the top six of the Premier League, having endured a difficult start to the season that sees them cut adrift in the developing title race.

With today’s win following last weekend’s triumph away at Spurs, the Reds enter the World Cup break in a promising position and will hope to grow in strength as the campaign rumbles on.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Updates

Manchester United Board of Directors block 2023 dividends payment

Published

on


Manchester United’s Board of Directors did not approve a dividends payment to the club’s owners, the Glazers, scheduled for 2023.

The controversial Glazer ownership of United has reared its head once again in recent times following last month’s announcement from the club itself confirming that they were open to a sale.

A statement released in November confirmed the club and its owners would ‘consider all strategic alternatives’ amid sustained pressure from fans for the Glazers to sell up once more, with protests coming and going since their takeover in 2005.

Advertisement

It was confirmed in a statement on December 8 that the Glazers would not be taking out a dividend payment, before that announcement was made: “On 15 November, the Board of Directors did not approve the payment of the semi-annual dividend for fiscal 2023.”

United’s Board of Directors is comprised mostly of Glazers, with Avram and Joel both holding titles of ‘Executive Co-Chairman and Director’. Kevin, Bryan and Edward – all siblings of Joel and Avram – are listed as Directors for the club.

The Athletic report that the decision is an economic one, considering the investment into the team this past summer which was in excess of £200m.

The decision marks the first time since 2016 that the Glazer family haven’t taken dividends out of the club and further fuels speculation that a sale could be imminent, with the Raine Group – who facilitated the 2022 sale of Chelsea – acting as United’s ‘exclusive financial advisor’ while they explore a potential sale.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Updates

Carlo Ancelotti speaks out in defence of Cristiano Ronaldo

Published

on


Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti has issued a defence of Cristiano Ronaldo amid continued criticisms over his attitude.

The 37-year-old is currently at the World Cup as a free agent having agreed to a mutual exit from Manchester United in November, following increasing tension between himself and manager Erik ten Hag.

Ronaldo’s behavioural problems have been publicised to a stunning extent in recent times, walking out twice on United during matches this season and being dropped by Ten Hag as a result the second time around.

Advertisement

The same issues seem to have followed him into the Portugal camp in what is expected to be his final World Cup. Ronaldo was unhappy with being substituted in his nation’s 2-1 defeat to South Korea and started on the bench as they thrashed Switzerland 6-1, playing some 20 minutes and having to watch his replacement Goncalo Ramos bag a hat-trick.

The Portuguese Football Federation released a statement on December denying reports in Portugal that Ronaldo had threatened to walk out on Fernando Santos and the team in Qatar. Amid the drama, Ancelotti, who managed Ronaldo for two seasons, offered a defence to Corriere dello Sport: “Ronaldo probably still feels in his 20s because he’s fine, he’s got the answers he’s looking for in his body.

“The competition has become tough,” he added: “I’ve coached him for two years and there were no problems. In fact he solved them for me.

“Cristiano trains well, he pays attention to detail, everything was easy for me to manage. He is an exceptional player.”

Advertisement

Harry Symeou hosts Scott Saunders, Sean Walsh, Ali Rampling and Brian Goldfarb to look back on the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil – join us!

If you can’t see the podcast embed, click to download or listen to the episode in full!

Ronaldo himself released a statement addressing the reports after Portugal did so, talking up the unity among Santos’ squad.

Portugal take on Morocco in the World Cup quarter-final on December 10, where it remains to be seen if the five-time Ballon d’Or winner will be restored to a starting berth as a result of the team’s exceptional last 16 performance without him.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

EPL

Mikel Arteta provides injury updates on two key Arsenal stars

Published

on


Mikel Arteta lifted the lid on the condition of both Emile Smith Rowe and Gabriel Jesus following Arsenal’s friendly victory over Lyon.

The Gunners breezed to a 3-0 win against the Ligue 1 side out in the United Arab Emirates, while taking part in the Dubai Super Cup as a part of their preparations for the impending return of club football.

Naturally, Arsenal have plenty of first-team regulars away still representing their country at the World Cup or on leave following a recent elimination, but are still stepping up their efforts with one eye on football’s return, with the aim being to continue an incredible first half of the season.

Advertisement

Unfortunately, Brazil forward Jesus saw his World Cup campaign come to an end as a result of a knee injury, which the club have since confirmed he has had surgery to correct. After the win, Arteta responded ‘no’ when asked if there was a timescale for the 25-year-old’s return.

“We know that he needed some intervention in the knee and we have to take day by day, week by week and see where that takes us,” Arteta said.

When asked if injury to Jesus would influence the Gunners’ transfer plans, he responded: “What it affects is who we are as a team because he gives us so much.

“What we can do after that, when we know the timescale better and when we can have him back, we will look at the options and try to make the right decisions.”

Advertisement

Harry Symeou hosts Scott Saunders, Sean Walsh, Ali Rampling and Brian Goldfarb to look back on the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil – join us!

If you can’t see the podcast embed, click here to download or listen to the episode in full!

Smith Rowe, meanwhile, has been missing for the majority of the 2022/23 campaign, but has travelled with the squad to Dubai for their mid-season camp. Arteta said: “With Emile, he has returned to training and he’s in that process after we rehab, after a period where he had some real discomfort.

“So we are giving him time – he’s getting closer and closer. So hopefully in the next few weeks, we’ll be able to see him.”

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Home
Live Scores
Use App
Live TV
Predictions