Connect with us

Football

La Liga condemns racial abuse of Vinicius Junior

Published

on


La Liga have released a statement following the continued racist abuse of Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior by Atletico Madrid supporters.

The build up to Sunday’s Madrid derby was dominated by criticism of the Brazilian’s dancing celebration irking rival fans.

Los Blancos ran out 2-1 winners, with Rodrygo dedicating his deadlock-breaking goal to Vinicius by joining him in his dance.

Advertisement

Ahead of the derby, Atletico Madrid fans were filmed signing racist songs about Vinicius en masse outside the Metropolitano Stadium. This continued inside the ground and during the match, with the winger also being subjected to monkey chants.

A spokesperson for La Liga has now said: “We denounce all incidents inside and outside stadiums.

“We work with clubs to keep our football friendly and enjoyable.

“Hate speech has no place in La Liga and we always work with the clubs and the authorities to identify and bring to justice any such case.”

Advertisement

Prior to the derby, Atletico Madrid captain Koke told Vinicius to ‘expect trouble’ if he danced at the Metropolitano.

Agent Pedro Bravo said during the week, “in Spain, you have to respect rivals and stop playing the monkey,” and was roundly criticised for such comments, later issuing an apology.

Vinicius was defiant in a post on social media on Friday, stating: “Weeks ago, some people started to criticise my dancing. But the dancing is not mine alone.

“They belong to Ronaldinho, Neymar, [Lucas] Paqueta, [Antoine] Griezmann, Joao Felix, Matheus Cunha…Brazilian funk singers and samba dancers, Latin reggaeton singers, Black Americans. They are dances to celebrate the cultural diversity of the world.

Advertisement

“They say that happiness bothers. The happiness of a Black Brazilian being successful in Europe bothers much more. But my will to win, my smile and the sparkle in my eyes are much bigger than that.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

EPL

RUMOUR: Man Utd could launch shock Pickford swoop as they consider letting De Gea go

Published

on

RUMOUR: Man Utd could launch shock Pickford swoop as they consider letting De Gea go

Manchester United may consider a shock bid for Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford in the midst of uncertainty encompassing David De Gea’s future, reports propose.

As per the Telegraph, United are not persuaded they need to broaden De Gea’s agreement, which runs out in June and procures him an astounding £350,000, and could allow him to go free of charge in June.

The Spanish shot-stopper, who was omitted from Luis Enrique’s Spain squad for the international break, suffered a poor start to the season with a raft of errors most notably at Brentford.

And United are also dealing with a high wage bill that reached a Premier League record of £384million last season.

Advertisement

The Red Devils announced earlier this week that their salaries have increased by a whopping £61.6m from the previous year.

Cristiano Ronaldo’s return as well as Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane’s arrivals led to a 19.1 per cent increase in their salary bill as well as a net loss amounting to £115.5m.

United are assessing their long-term plans and a change between the sticks can’t be ruled out, even though De Gea, 31, has improved recently and has been integral in the last 11 years at Old Trafford.

That could bring England’s No1 Pickford, 28, into the frame come January.

The Everton shot stopper has various clubs carefully monitoring his situation as he will have just one year left on his Everton contract at the end of the season.

Advertisement

The England international is also a homegrown player, which is very appealing to his suitors.

Continue Reading

Football

Rob Page says Wales ‘will be in contact’ with LAFC regarding Gareth Bale’s World Cup fitness

Published

on


Wales boss Rob Page has revealed he’ll remain in close contact with LAFC regarding Gareth Bale’s fitness as the World Cup approaches.

Bale played the full 90 minutes as Wales lost 1-0 against Poland on Sunday in a result that confirmed their relegation from their UEFA Nations League group.

However, that’s the first time the 33-year-old has managed a full game at any level since March of this year, while he hasn’t gone 90 at club level since a La Liga match against Getafe for Real Madrid in April 2020.

Wales’ next game is their World Cup Group B opener against the United States on November 21. Before then, it’s vital Bale plays as many minutes as possible in the MLS regular season and Playoffs for LAFC.

Advertisement




“They want Gareth available for them and we want him in the physical position for the first [World Cup] game against the USA. We will be in contact with them and make sure he is in the right place,” Page said of Bale’s situation at LAFC, where only two of the forward’s 11 appearances have been from the start.

“What he does from now until the first game, we will be in contact with the club and help manage those minutes. They are a good outfit, LA, so they will know exactly how to get him from where he is now to full fitness, which is 90 minutes week in, week out.”

LAFC are level on 64 points with the Philadelphia Union at the top of the overall MLS standings. The Black and Gold have just two more regular season games remaining – away to the Portland Timbers and at home against Nashville SC – before they begin their Playoffs run.

Advertisement




Watch the story of Charlotte FC’s journey to MLS in 90min’s The Making of Charlotte FC, presented by DoorDash, on 90min channels now. Subscribe to our new US YouTube channel.



Source link

Continue Reading

Football

Federico Bernardeschi reveals why he switched Juventus for Toronto FC & MLS

Published

on


Federico Bernardeschi has revealed he had multiple offers after leaving Juventus, but the ambition of Toronto FC and Major League Soccer played a key role in his move across the Atlantic.

The 28-year-old Italy international was one of a number of eye-catching additions for TFC this summer alongside compatriots Lorenzo Insigne – who agreed a contract earlier in the year – and Domenico Criscito.

Speaking to TLN, Bernardeschi has revealed he turned down other offers from ‘important’ clubs to move to Toronto.

“I believe that I finished a journey at Juventus. There were various teams we spoke to, and various teams that came forward,” he said.

Advertisement




“They’re important names and I thank them, but there were little things that didn’t work out one way or another. With Toronto, everything went smoothly.”

Though TFC have continued to struggle, Bernardeschi has made an excellent start in MLS, scoring eight goals and assisting another two in his first 11 appearances.

That’s given the forward plenty of time to evaluate the quality of the league, and Bernardeschi has certainly been impressed by MLS so far.

Advertisement




“I think MLS has a great future, I think they have very big projects, not only here in Toronto as they’re showing, but for the entire league,” he said.

“This is good for all football worldwide but especially for football and sport in North America. It is beautiful to see and for sure it’s beautiful to be a part of.”

Watch the story of Charlotte FC’s journey to MLS in 90min’s The Making of Charlotte FC, presented by DoorDash, on 90min channels now. Subscribe to our new US YouTube channel.

Advertisement








Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Home
Live Scores
Videos
Live TV
Predictions