Connect with us

Football

Lionel Messi speaks out after Argentina lose to Saudi Arabia

Published

on

A devastated Lionel Messi admitted Argentina could have no excuses after they fell 2-1 to Saudi Arabia in their World Cup opener.

Messi opened the scoring from the penalty spot early in a first half which saw Argentina have three goals ruled out for offside, before Saudi Arabia turned the tide after the break and roared to a stunning victory.

After the game, Messi could not hide his disappointment.

“We’re dead,” he said. “It’s a very hard blow.

Advertisement

“We didn’t want to start that way. We wanted to win, to give peace of mind. There are no excuses. Now, it’s the time to focus on strength and the unity of the group. It’s time for us to be more united than ever. It’s time to calm down.

“It’s a hard blow, a painful defeat. We have to keep trusting ourselves. Let’s try to beat Mexico to see how the group turns out.”

Assessing the game, Messi admitted Argentina came out the blocks too fast and couldn’t keep up.

“We had chances and we had many offside opportunities,” he said. “We made a mistake of speeding up too much. We knew they would play with a high line. We sped up a little, but after, we started to clutter up, lose functionality and lose the midfield battle.

Advertisement

“The goal early in the second half confused us. We couldn’t find the game we had been showing for a long time. When the game went on, with the result against us, it became more difficult.”

Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Football

Monterrey signs midfielder Jordi Cortizo from Puebla

Published

on


Rayados de Monterrey have signed midfielder Jordi Cortizo from Club Puebla, ahead of the 2023 Liga MX Clausura. 

He joins the Guadalajara team on a four-season contract, according to Diego Armando Medina of TUDN.

“I have been delighted since the opportunity to come here was given, I always knew that I had to make a leap to these big leagues with one of the biggest clubs in Mexico,” Cortizo said of his transfer. 

Advertisement

Cortizo kicked off his professional career with Queretaro in 2017, recording four goals in 76 appearances over the course of three years before seeing stints with Tijuana and Puebla. He managed well in Liga MX, but it wasn’t until the 2022 Apertura that he became a standout. 

The offensive midfielder recorded five goals in 20 overall matches to inspire Puebla to eighth on the table and the Liguilla quarterfinals. 

Overall, Cortizo has 12 goals in 149 Liga MX appearances. 

“They are going to see a player who always tries, that will never fail, who will go for the ball, will try to play, propose offensive play, go forward and who will always give himself up for the club. It is my dream to be champion of the Liga MX, there is no better option today than to be sitting here and with this squad to achieve it,” he said.

Advertisement

Cortizo stands as the first signing under new Monterrey president Jose Antonio Noriega, who replaced Duilio Davino  following the team’s elimination from the 2022 Apertura. Upon his arrival, Noriega insisted he needed to evaluate the team’s needs before making drastic changes. 

But the arrival of Jordi Cortizo will now set off the several moves already planned. 

The 2023 Liga MX Clausura kicks off on January 6.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Football

England vs Senegal: Confirmed lineups

Published

on

England vs Senegal: Confirmed lineups

On Sunday, England and Senegal, their opponents in the last-16 of the World Cup, square off at Al Bayt Stadium in a battle for a spot in the quarterfinals.

The Three Lions take on the Lions of Teranga, who advanced to the knockout stages thanks to a crucial intervention from their captain, in a first-ever meeting after Gareth Southgate’s team defeated Wales to win Group B.

Line-up

England XI: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Rice, Henderson, Bellingham; Saka, Foden, Kane.  

Senegal XI: E. Mendy; Sabaly, Koulibaly, Diallo, Jakobs; Ciss, N. Mendy; Diatta, Ndiaye, Sarr; Dia. 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Football

USMNT players apologize for World Cup elimination

Published

on


US men’s national team players took to social media to apologize to fans following their elimination from the 2022 World Cup.  

After failing to qualify for the 2018 edition of the tournament, the American side entered Qatar with high hopes. The team kicked off with draws against England and Wales, before triumphing 1-0 over Iran to make the knockout round as second place of Group B. 

Gregg Berhalter’s side was forced to face the Netherlands on Saturday at Khalifa International Stadium for the highly anticipated match up. Despite an energetic start to the game, the USMNT ultimately lost 3-1, with goals from Memphis Depay, Daley Blind and Denzel Dumfries proving to be the difference between the two sides.

The Americans will now look forward to the 2026 World Cup where they will serve as hosts alongside Mexico and Canada. 

Advertisement








Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Home
Live Scores
Use App
Live TV
Predictions