Connect with us

Updates

Portland Thorns & Timbers fire Gavin Wilkinson and Mike Golub following US Soccer report

Published

on


The Portland Timbers and Thorns have parted ways with president of soccer Gavin Wilkinson and president of business Mike Golub, following the release of Sally Q. Yates’ independent investigation into abuse and sexual midsconduct in women’s professional soccer. 

Their departure followed the announcement that Thorns owner Merritt Paulson would be stepping away from club operations until the conclusion of the NWSL and NWSL Players Association’s joint investigation. 

“Given the Thorns are about to enter the NWSL Playoffs, I have told the NWSL that I will be removing myself effective today from all Thorns-related decision making until the NWSL/NWSLPA Joint Investigation, which we are fully cooperating with, is released,” Paulson said in the release.

Advertisement

General counsel Heather Davis, named interim president for both the Timbers and the Thorns, will step into the role immediately.

Outrage for the three figures to step away intensified after Yates’ investigation concluded Wilkinson, Golub and Paulson were aware of the verbal and emotional abuse and sexual misconduct by former Thorns head coach Paul Riley. 

The Thorns fired Riley from his position in 2015, after an internal investigation into the players’ accusation of sexual misconduct, but the club did not provide a reason for his exit. Instead, Wilkinson insisted he felt Riley “was put in a bad position by the player” and “would hire him in a heartbeat,” as per the U.S. Soccer report. 

Wilkinson’s actions prove Yates’ findings that the league officials and executives chose to protect themselves instead of addressing the continued abuse within the game. Golub and Paulson were named in the report several times as well, having known about the ongoing situations. 

Advertisement

Prior to their firings, Thorns supporters groups released joint statements calling for Wilkinson and Golub to be terminated, and for Paulson to sell his stake in the NWSL side and Timbers.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Football

Rangers appoint Michael Beale as new manager

Published

on


Rangers have confirmed the appointment of Michael Beale as the club’s new manager, following Gio van Bronckhorst’s sacking.

The former QPR manager has signed a contract which runs until 2026 at Ibrox, returning to the Gers having previously worked as an assistant manager at the club under Steven Gerrard.

90min revealed on Sunday that Beale’s appointment was imminent, and a club statement has confirmed his return to the club: “Michael Beale is the 18th manager of Rangers with the club delighted to confirm his appointment today.

Advertisement

Harry Symeou hosts Scott Saunders and Toby Cudworth to look back on South Korea/Japan ’02 as part of the ‘Our World Cup’ series. We take a trip down memory lane – join us!

If you can’t see the podcast embed, click here to download or listen to the episode in full!

“Signing a contract to 2026, the 42 year-old joins from his role as manager of Queens’ Park Rangers in West London having previously worked as first-team coach at Ibrox from 2018 to last November. It is an exciting appointment for the club, with Beale undoubtedly one of the most sought-after young managers in British football.”

Speaking about his return to Rangers, Beale said: “It is fantastic to be back and to see everybody this morning, there are some new faces but some people that I know really well so it is great to see everyone. 

Advertisement

“I am hugely proud, it is a wonderful, wonderful football club, it is an institution. For everyone that works here it is a huge privilege, but to be the manager of this football club, that is extremely special. Some wonderful people have sat in this chair prior to me, and I am hugely proud to be the person sat here now.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Football

Portugal vs Uruguay: Confirmed lineups

Published

on

By defeating Uruguay in Lusail, Portugal will be hoping to advance to the World Cup’s last 16 in 2022.

During their first match, Cristiano Ronaldo and company defeated Ghana in a five-goal thriller, while Uruguay and South Korea drew 0-0.

Line-up

Portugal XI: Diogo Costa, João Cancelo, Pepe, Rúben Dias, R. Guerreiro, Rúben Neves, William, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, João Félix, Ronaldo.

Uruguay XI:

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Updates

How to watch Japan vs Spain on TV & live stream

Published

on



How to watch Japan vs Spain in the World Cup on TV.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Home
Live Scores
Use App
Live TV
Predictions