Mayweather was enjoying some real success at the time having recently beaten Manny Pacquiao a month earlier and was prepared to watch his dear companion Adrien Broner in a major battle with Shawn Porter.
- Boxing hero Butterbean calls out Jake Paul as he targets a shock comeback next year
- Man Utd to host Tyson Fury’s bout with Joshua or Usyk if Gypsy King fights again
- Tyson Fury knocks out Dillian Whyte with huge uppercut to retain heavyweight world title
- Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte: How to watch date, time, venue and undercard
- Crazed fan pulls gun on Mike Tyson at Hollywood comedy club gig
As Broner versus Porter was set to occur in Las Vegas, Floyd had the option to go to the weigh-in Friday and afterward return to his own Mayweather Boxing Gym in the evening.
At the point when he did as such, he saw an amazing competing meeting between two exceptionally appraised youths.
Mayweather said of Gervonta: “He came to the gym.
“It was the day before Adrien Broner was fighting Shawn Porter.
“Right after the weigh-in, we went over to the gym – we wanted to see ‘Tank’ box Devin Haney.
“Haney was in good shape, ‘Tank’ wasn’t in good shape, but they worked, it was some crazy work.
“It was crazy entertaining work at that particular time.
“So I said, ‘You know what, I like this kid.’
“I think I had my assistant reach out to him on social media.
“We met in New York after that and the next day he was on a yacht with me in Miami. I move around. We made it happen.
“We were in Dubai, we were in Egypt, but I was already doing these worldwide trips a long time ago – I wanted to introduce him to it.”
Before long thereafter, the arrangement was accomplished and work started on forming Gervonta into a boxing star.
He won the IBF super-featherweight world title only year and a half later and is presently well on his way to massive fights with Mayweather by his side.
Source: Talksport | Featured image credit: Boxingnews24