Connect with us

Updates

Ricardo Cardena labels Chivas’ 4-1 defeat to Tigres ‘an accident’

Published

on


Chivas de Guadalajara fell 4-1 to Tigres UANL on Tuesday night at Akron Stadium, propelling head coach Ricardo Cadena to come out in defense of his team and label the loss “an accident.”

Following the match, Cadena boldly claimed that the result did not accurately reflect his team’s performance on the pitch. While Chivas did manage 28 shots, and eight on goal with 58% possession throughout the match, Tigres goalkeeper Nahuel Guzman stopped it all to limit his opponents to simply one goal.

“Today is really one of those rough matches for us, so I can consider it, what happened today was an accident, too much margin is reflected in a result that, in my opinion, apparently on the pitch, was not that much . They have taken advantage of what we have given and we were not able to convert the opportunities when they were presented to us,” said Cadena.

Advertisement

“The team leaves me with a pleasant sensation in the first minutes, what has been working in the previous games, we had good chances but we couldn’t convert, they had a good participation with their goalkeeper Nahuel and that didn’t let us get any closer. 

“We had circumstances that did not work in our favor in the first two goals and they for the second half with a margin of two goals gives you another perspective and with less time for the match. We were overwhelmed by the anxiety to close the distance and we knew we were going to take risks, but our spirits did not drop with going to look for.”

But Chivas cannot linger on the defeat, as they travel to Azteca Stadium on Saturday for the daunting classic against rivals Club America. It’ll be their biggest challenge yet, as the Mexico City team continues their nine-match winning streak while leading the 2022 Liga MX Apertura table with 31 points in 14 games. 

“We have a Clásico ahead of us, we know what it means and in that sense we will do a cold analysis, I just told them [to the players], it was a soccer accident, we have to think about the Clásico against América, which from the start motivates,” Cadena concluded.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Updates

Tajon Buchanan fit and ready for Canada after ‘tough process’ of recovery

Published

on


Canadian Men’s National Team forward Tajon Buchanan faces arguably the most crucial game of his life against Uruguay on Tuesday.

Sure, the clash in Bratislava, Slovakia, is just a mere friendly. However, it’s the CanMNT’s last match before John Herdman names his roster for the nation’s first World Cup since 1986 and second-ever.

And for Buchanan, it’s a chance to return to the field for the first time since Club Brugge’s match against Anderlecht in May after nursing a quad injury. Now, the 23-year-old must prove to Herdman that he’s fit and ready for Qatar 2022 – as he’ll continue to do when he returns to Belgium following this international break.

Advertisement

“I was injured for two months, so it’s been a tough process but now that I feel good again, I can start training and get some games in. I feel good, so I am happy,” Buchanan said on Sunday. “I was just in warm-ups in the first game of the season — a [Belgian] Super Cup game — and I took a shot in warmups and I felt something in my quad. Ever since then, it’s been an up-and-down journey.

“I tried to come back in training and hurt it again so it was a tough period, but I am good now and ready to play some games.”

It was quite a surprise to see Buchanan travel with the national team considering he hasn’t managed a single appearance for Brugge this season.

However, it’s vital the 23-year-old gets minutes not just for the World Cup, but to prepare him for the rest of the Belgian season, and Herdman has praised the First Division A champions for their handling of Buchanan’s situation.

Advertisement

“I think Brugge have done a good job the last few weeks getting him ready to return to play,” Herdman said. “And for a player, a first injury, it takes time to trust your body again. He had some good moments [on Sunday] and he fit right back into our structure.”

Watch the story of Charlotte FC’s journey to MLS in 90min’s The Making of Charlotte FC, presented by DoorDash, on 90min channels now. Subscribe to our new US YouTube channel.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Updates

Eric Cantona suggests David Beckham has made ‘big mistake’ with World Cup ambassadorship

Published

on


Eric Cantona has insisted that ex-professional footballers such as former Manchester United teammate David Beckham have made a ‘big mistake’ in becoming ambassadors for this winter’s World Cup in Qatar.

There have been several major criticisms regarding the showpiece tournament, largely relating to Qatar’s human rights record and its treatment of migrant workers.

Cantona, one of football’s most outspoken and charismatic figures, revealed in January that he would be boycotting this year’s World Cup.

Advertisement

“It’s only about money and the way they treated the people who built the stadiums, it’s horrible. And thousands of people died. And yet we will celebrate this World Cup. Personally, I will not watch it. I understand football is a business. But I thought it was the only place where everybody could have a chance,” he told The Athletic.

He also said that he does not expect players to take up the same stance, adding: “If you have a player who says, ‘I will boycott the World Cup’, you say, ‘Bravo’. But you cannot condemn a 20-year-old player, who has a 10-year career, who lives in a world surrounded by people from football 24 hours per day.

“But do speak about the federations, speak about the politicians, who have the power to say, ‘No, we do not go to the World Cup’. We cannot be disappointed if players don’t want to boycott the World Cup, because at the top, the politicians, the presidents, the federations, the ministers…the real power, everywhere in the world, they have the power to boycott it. It is too easy to say the players.”

Cantona was then asked what he thought of ex-players, such as global icon Beckham, endorsing the World Cup and Qatar’s efforts in ambassadorial roles and if he would take on such a job.

Advertisement

“I would not do it at all. I do completely the opposite. In January 2022, I started to say that. Maybe I was the first one,” he replied.

“But I am free to do it. And of course, an ex-player paid to do this kind of thing…It could be they don’t know what has happened there.

“Or, if they know it, I think they did wrong. I think they made a big mistake. A big, big mistake.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Updates

Mohamed Salah to return to Liverpool after being released from Egypt duty

Published

on


Mohamed Salah is set to leave the Egypt national team camp ahead of schedule and return to Liverpool training.

The forward scored twice in a 3-0 win against Niger on Friday, but manager Rui Vitoria has confirmed that his star man will be rested for Tuesday’s friendly with Liberia.

Salah will not be at risk of injury while on international duty and will now head back to Merseyside ahead of Liverpool’s return to Premier League action.

Advertisement

The Reds welcome Brighton to Anfield on Saturday, with Roberto De Zerbi taking charge of his first Seagulls match after replacing Graham Potter in the dugout.

Jurgen Klopp’s side head into the encounter having won just two of their opening six Premier League games, and sit four points behind Brighton in the table.

Scott SaundersGraeme BaileyToby Cudworth and Sean Walsh bring you a brand new episode of Talking Transfers. The team discuss Jude Bellingham’s future, Bayern Munich’s interest in Harry Kane, widespread Premier League interest in Mykhaylo Mudryk and plenty more. Available on all audio platforms.

If you can’t see the podcast embed, click here to download the episode in full!

Advertisement

Salah has scored just two Premier League goals so far this season, while Liverpool are yet to see the best of summer signing Darwin Nunez.

Liverpool’s last two matches have both come in the Champions League – a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Napoli and a narrow 2-1 win over Ajax – due to postponements in relation to the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Their last league outing was their 0-0 draw in the Merseyside derby at Everton on September 3.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Home
Live Scores
Videos
Live TV
Predictions