Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson once gave Cristiano Ronaldo downtime to return home and visit his sick dad.
The Portuguese star retold the touching anecdote during a talk for the Red Devils’ YouTube channel.
- Sassuolo 0-3 Ac Milan: Rossoneri crowned champions of Italy first time since 2011
- Man City win Premier League title after incredible comeback against Aston villa
- La Liga report PSG to UEFA after Kylian Mbappe’s contract renewal
- Official: Kylian Mbappe agrees contract extension with PSG as he turns down Real Madrid
- Real Madrid sends message to Kylian Mbappe after extending contract with PSG
Ronaldo said: “Probably he doesn’t remember, but I will say it because it’s a beautiful story.
“One day, my father was in hospital, and I was so emotional, very low.
“And I spoke with him and he said: ‘Cristiano, go there for two or three days.’
“We had difficult games and I was a key player in that moment.
“He said: ‘It will be tough because we have difficult games, but I understand your situation and I’ll leave you [out] and you can go and see your father.’
“For me, these are the most important things – apart from winning Champions Leagues, to win the Premier League, to win cups and stuff.
“So I have to appreciate him, because what he said to me, he always did. I have to appreciate that.”
Ronaldo’s father Jose Dinis Aveiro died from liver failure in 2005, aged 52.
He missed most of his son’s historic achievements and Ronnie once said: “I really don’t know my father 100 per cent.”
The United icon also described him as a ‘drunk person’.
Milan have been crowned as Serie A champion interestingly since the 2010-11 campaign subsequent...
Manchester City needed to do it the most difficult way possible on the last...
As Paris Saint-Germain have declared the extension of Kylian Mbappe, La Liga put out...
Kylian Mbappe has decided to stay at Paris Saint-Germain on a long-term contract, turning...