Serena Williams wins her first title since her return from maternity and It’s her first non Grand Slam title since Rome in 2016 and first since AO 2017.
The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion beat her fellow American 6-3 6-4.
It is the 38-year-old’s first singles title since she won the Australian Open in 2017 and her 73rd WTA title overall.
Williams, in her fourth decade on the WTA Tour, lost the Wimbledon and US Open finals in 2018 and 2019 and retired from the 2019 Rogers Cup final.
She said after her victory that she would donate her prize money in Auckland and a dress she had worn to the Australian bushfire appeal.
“It feels good. It’s been a long time, I think you could see the relief on my face,” said Williams.
“I have been playing for so long and been through so much and I’m happy to be doing something I love.”
It’s her first non Grand Slam title since Rome in 2016 and first since AO 2017.
1st title as a mom
1st #ASBClassic title
1st title of 2020
2nd WTA International title
73rd WTA career title (MSD)
- Lionel Messi could leave when his contract expires (DETAILS)
- Bayern Munich sign Sane from Manchester City for reported €45M
- Mourinho fears for football’s future after Spurs hit by VAR woe
- Man City 4-0 Liverpool: City smashed the champion (Highlight)
- Inter complete signing of Hakimi for reported €40M fee