Connect with us

Updates

Sir Jim Ratcliffe expected to bid for Man Utd after Glazers decision

Published

on


Sir Jim Ratcliffe is expected to launch a bid for Manchester United following confirmation from the Glazer family that the club is on the market for either a full or partial takeover.

Ratcliffe, commonly referred to as Britain’s richest man, had previously confirmed his interest in buying the club he has supported since childhood during the summer.

The petrochemicals billionaire, who founded INEOS and already owns OGC Nice in France, had been part of the bidding process for Chelsea but lost out to Todd Boehly’s consortium after submitting an offer after the deadline set by broker Raine Group had passed.

Advertisement

After a spokesperson for Ratcliffe in August confirmed ‘Jim is definitely a potential buyer’ should the club be for sale, the man himself later backed away and publicly conceded in October that the Glazers ‘don’t want to sell’.

Ratcliffe was also linked with a takeover of Liverpool more recently but INEOS appeared to rule themselves out of any move into Premier League football, declaring instead that the group’s focus remains on developing Nice into a domestic rival for Paris Saint-Germain in France.

However, that situation appears to have changed since the Glazer statement on Tuesday night.

The Telegraph has now reported that United is the only club that would get Ratcliffe to change his mind. Now that offers are being welcomed by the Glazers, having seemingly been shut down in summer, the 70-year-old originally from Oldham will prepare a bid.

Advertisement

His offer for Chelsea came in at £4.25bn but it is said that Glazers are potentially seeking in excess of £5bn for United and that Ratcliffe is ‘wary’ of overpaying.

It is thought that INEOS have already completed due diligence on the club, although have a rule that any investment ought to pay off or increase ‘significantly’ in value after three years. Ratcliffe, despite being a United fan, is expected to prioritise ‘business logic before passion’, the Telegraph adds.

Aside from Nice, INEOS have a growing sporting portfolio, which includes investment into F1, cycling and Swiss football club Lausanne. There are no rules to prevent them from owning multiple football clubs, although United would not be allowed to face another INEOS-owned team in Europe should a potential takeover from Ratcliffe proceed and be completed.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Updates

Lionel Messi reacts to Argentina reaching World Cup knockouts

Published

on


Argentina superstar Lionel Messi has claimed that his missed penalty in Wednesday night’s crunch World Cup win over Poland ended up galvanising the team and was on course for victory as soon as Alexis Mac Allister broke the deadlock.

La Albiceleste, one of the pre-tournament favourites, were in danger of a shock group stage elimination ahead of kick-off and had it all to play for against Robert Lewandowski’s Poland.

When Lionel Scaloni’s team were awarded a first half penalty and Messi stepped up, it looked as though it would be business as usual. The seven-time Ballon d’Or winner was looking to score in a seventh consecutive Argentina appearance, something he had never done before. But Poland goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny was equal to his spot-kick and confidently palmed the ball away.

Advertisement

“Having missed the penalty, the team came out stronger from that,” Messi told TyC Sports.

“The team was convinced that we were going to win, it was a matter of the first one coming in. Once we scored the goal, the game was going to be played the way we wanted.”

After Mac Allister found the key first goal, Julian Alvarez eventually got the second.

Neither Alvarez nor Enzo Fernandez, who assisted the second goal, had started either of the first two games. Yet they came in to make a critical impact. Mac Allister, meanwhile, hadn’t featured in the opening defeat to Saudi Arabia, before starting back-to-back wins.

Advertisement

Messi went on to praise the ‘strength of this group’ which makes that possible.

“We said it from the beginning. The players who come in know what they have to do and are always fully prepared. It is the strength of this group, the union and that when a player has to, he responds,” the 35-year-old explained.

With the group stage now over, Argentina will face a plucky Australia side that qualified from a very challenging Group D ahead of Denmark. That game will be played on Saturday.

“We know it’s going to be very tough,” Messi assessed.

Advertisement

Harry Symeou hosts Jack Gallagher and Toby Cudworth to look back on Germany ’06 as part of the ‘Our World Cup’ series. We take a trip down memory lane – join us!

If you can’t see the podcast embed, click to download or listen to the episode in full!



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Updates

Minnesota United make Joseph Rosales loan permanent

Published

on


Minnesota United have announced the permanent signing of midfielder Joseph Rosales from Panama’s CA Independiente.

Rosales returns to Allianz Field following a loan spell starting in August 2021, with the Honduras international notching five primary assists in 35 appearances so far across all competitions.

MNUFC have signed Rosales on a deal through the 2023 MLS season with further options on 2024 and 2025.

Advertisement

Rosales returns to a Minnesota United side enjoying a four-year in the MLS Cup Playoffs under Adrian Heath, though the Loons have exited in the first round three times.

The 22-year-old will continue to compete for a starting spot in the MNUFC midfield alongside the likes of Kervin Arriaga and Wil Trapp.

Watch the story of Charlotte FC’s journey to MLS in 90min’s The Making of Charlotte FC, presented by DoorDash, on 90min channels now. Subscribe to our new US YouTube channel.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Updates

Atlanta United sign former Columbus Crew forward Derrick Etienne Jr via free agency

Published

on


Atlanta United have bolstered their attacking options with the signing of winger Derrick Etienne Jr via free agency, the club announced Wednesday.

As reported by 90min, the Five Stripes have been pursuing a deal with Etienne since mid-November, with the forward having already spent time at the club’s training facilities.

That deal was finally completed on Wednesday as Etienne was unveiled on a contract through the 2025 MLS season with further options on 2026 and 2027.

Advertisement

“Derrick is a versatile winger who fits the profile of a player we were looking to bring in,” Atlanta United vice president and technical director Carlos Bocanegra said in a club press release.

“We’re excited to secure his services as he was a top free agent coming off an excellent season and heading into the prime of his career. Derrick has a great mentality, knows the league well and we are looking forward to him being a big part of the team going forward.”

Etienne is entering his eighth season as an MLS player, notching 17 goals and 17 assists in 148 appearances so far for the New York Red Bulls and Columbus Crew so far.

His spell with the latter was particularly fruitful, winning MLS Cup and Campeones Cup titles, while the 26-year-old enjoyed a career-best return of nine goals and six assists in 33 regular season appearances in 2022.

Advertisement

Etienne – who is also capable of playing through the middle – will now compete for places in Atlanta United’s forward line alongside the likes of Luiz Araujo and Edwin Mosquera as the club look to return to the MLS Cup Playoffs in head coach Gonzalo Pineda’s second full season in charge.

Watch the story of Charlotte FC’s journey to MLS in 90min’s The Making of Charlotte FC, presented by DoorDash, on 90min channels now. Subscribe to our new US YouTube channel.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Home
Live Scores
Use App
Live TV
Predictions