Sweden came from behind to beat Spain 2-1 and leapfrog the visitors for first place of their World Cup qualifying group on Thursday.
Carlos Soler scored five minutes into his debut for Spain to put the visitors in front, but Aleksander Isak leveled seconds later.
- Portugal or Italy will definitely miss FIFA World Cup 2022
- ‘Not good news for other teams’- Jurgen Klopp reacts as Man United nearing Ralf Rangnick appointment
- Louis Saha reveals why Roy Keane is angry with Manchester United defender Harry Maguire
- Ronaldo Manchester United’s style under threat with Ralf Rangnick appointment
- Report: PSG begin talks with former Madrid boss to replace Man United target Pochettino
Viktor Claesson put Sweden ahead for good in the 57th. Only some desperate defending by Spain’s defenders denied Isak a chance to add another goal on the counterattack.
“We told ourselves that this is our home turf and we have to play for three points,” Isak said. “Our defense was solid, as usual, and we played better in attack, creating chances. We deserved this win.”
When Spain and Sweden met in the group phase of the European Championship in June, neither could find the net in a scoreless stalemate.
This time, the two attacks both struck early in a vibrant showing by the Swedes at Friends Arena, thrilling the nearly 17,000 fans in the largest crowd since the pandemic for a Sweden game.
Sweden 2-1 Spain highlights
One of Italy or Portugal won’t be at the World Cup in 2022 subsequent...
‘Not good news for other teams’- Jurgen Klopp reacts as Man United nearing Ralf Rangnick appointment
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp admits Ralf Rangnick‘s imminent arrival at Manchester United is “unfortunate”...
Louis Saha has declared Roy Keane was right in his criticism of Harry Maguire...
Cristiano Ronaldo may reportedly need to change his playing style to highlight in a...