Connect with us

Football

Switzerland predicted lineup vs Portugal

Published

on


Switzerland go head-to-head with Portugal in their World Cup round of 16 tie on Tuesday evening.

When Murat Yakin announced his squad, he was so satisfied with the wealth of talent at his disposal that he said: “We were spoiled for choice.” The 26 which made the cut are now tasked with becoming the first Swiss side since 1938 to win a knockout match at the men’s World Cup.

Here’s the XI Yakin may select with history on the horizon.

Advertisement
Granit Xhaka

Granit Xhaka was voted player of the match in a typically combative display against Serbia in Switzerland’s final group-stage game / Marvin Ibo Guengoer – GES Sportfoto/GettyImages

GK: Yann Sommer – Switzerland’s agile number one made a tournament-high 21 saves at last year’s Euros. He’s only been forced into nine so far in Qatar.

RB: Silvan Widmer – Puts his success down to two things: “I know what I want, and I know what I can do.”

CB: Nico Elvedi – The solid, if unspectacular, centre-back is facing a race against time to recover from an illness ahead of the knockout rounds.

CB: Manuel Akanji – One of Akanji’s tattoos reads: “Prove them wrong”. A sentiment he has carried out since recovering from an ACL injury very early in his career.

Advertisement

LB: Ricardo Rodriguez – A veteran of four major tournaments, Rodriguez has missed just 33 minutes of football for Switzerland at the World Cups and Euros since 2014.

CM: Granit Xhaka – When his family returned from the infamous match which saw Xhaka booed by Arsenal’s fans, his career in north London seemingly over, his mum was the first one to speak. “So…” she began, “what do you want to eat?”

CM: Remo Freuler – A late bloomer, Freuler was known as “Mini” back in Zurich as he was always the smallest player on each team he lined up for.

AM: Djibril Sow – Coumba Sow, Djibril’s cousin, is an international for the Swiss women’s national team and scored against Portugal when the nations met in last summer’s European Championships.

Advertisement

RW: Xherdan Shaqiri – The only player in World Cup history to have scored a hat-trick comprising entirely of left-footed goals opened his account in Qatar against Serbia – with his left foot naturally.

ST: Breel Embolo – The Cameroon-born striker gave an update on his national leaning last year, admitting that he is “probably 60 or 70% Swiss now, even more so than I’m African”.

LW: Ruben Vargas – With a former international trampolinist as a mother and a semi-professional baseball player as a father, Vargas comes from sporting stock.

Harry Symeou hosts Andy Headspeath, Toby Cudworth & La Liga TV presenter Semra Hunter to look back on the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa – join us!

Advertisement

If you can’t see the podcast embed, click here to download or listen to the episode in full!



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

EPL

Cody Gakpo reflects on first month at Liverpool

Published

on


Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo has opened up on his first month on the books at Anfield, admitting he is still getting used to Jurgen Klopp’s tactics.

The Dutchman was wanted by a number of elite sides, with Manchester United expected to win the race for his signature, but it was Liverpool who snuck in and agreed to pay an initial £35m to bring Gakpo to England.

The 23-year-old, who made his name as a left winger but has spent time as a striker at Liverpool, is yet to score after four appearances for his new side, but he told club media that is it just a matter of getting to grips with his new surroundings

Advertisement

“My feeling, personally, is everyone in the team has so much quality,” he said. “That is what I see in training and in phases in the games.

“It is also a part of football, that sometimes things don’t work out exactly the way you want them to. We just have to keep improving, working hard, and the quality will come out. Then, you’re going to see the real Liverpool.”

He continued: “From a football perspective, it’s a new environment on the pitch, with new players and a new team. I can tell it’s a really great group. Every day I am looking forward to working with them, to train hard and to play the games. I am trying to adapt as quickly as possible, to improve every day and in the end show the best version of myself.

“Off the pitch, to be honest, I haven’t been in the city so many times yet. Most of the time I have been in the hotel. I am moving this week, actually. That’s also something I’m looking forward to.”

Advertisement

Listen now as Scott Saunders hosts Graeme Bailey and Toby Cudworth to discuss the latest transfer news. On today’s agenda: Dusan Vlahovic, Anthony Gordon, Enzo Fernandes, Amadou Onana, Malo Gusto, Nicolo Zaniolo, Pedro Porro, Weston McKennie, Milan Skriniar, Maiximo Perrone & more!

If you can’t see this embed, click here to listen to the podcast!

Gakpo also confessed that he is still trying to adapt to his new role in Liverpool’s team.

“It is a little bit different to what I’m used to,” the Dutchman admitted. “Normally, I have played on the left for almost the past three years.

Advertisement

“It’s something I can improve, playing in the striker role, and I want to show my quality there. It’s a great position and playing there makes me more complete as a technical player.





Source link

Continue Reading

EPL

Fulham launch bid Fluminense midfielder Andre

Published

on


Fulham have made a bid to sign Fluminense midfielder Andre, 90min understands.

The 21-year-old has quickly established himself as one of Fluminense’s top players and a number of sides across Europe have expressed an interest in luring him away from his homeland in 2023.

Sources have confirmed to 90min that Fulham have approached Fluminense to try and thrash out a deal, but the Brazilian side are reluctant to part ways with their star player during the 2023 campaign.

Advertisement

Andre, who has been linked with the likes of Barcelona and Liverpool, has spoken out about the interest and insisted his focus remains solely on his current employers.

“Obviously, I’m focused and very happy,” Andre said recently. “I just renewed my contract until 2026.

“It’s normal to get offers, but I’m focused here on Fluminense and having an excellent season.”

Listen now as Scott Saunders hosts Graeme Bailey and Toby Cudworth to discuss the latest transfer news. On today’s agenda: Dusan Vlahovic, Anthony Gordon, Enzo Fernandes, Amadou Onana, Malo Gusto, Nicolo Zaniolo, Pedro Porro, Weston McKennie, Milan Skriniar, Maiximo Perrone & more!

Advertisement

If you can’t see this embed, click here to listen to the podcast!

Andre’s agent, Carlos Leite, also took to Instagram to confirm that the 21-year-old had agreed to remain with Fluminense until the end of the current campaign, which runs over the entire calendar year.

“Thanks to the great work carried out, Andre entered the radars of some of the biggest European clubs and, with that, he has received several enquiries and some official proposals,” Leite wrote.

“However, the player and Fluminense, through president Mario Bittencourt, sealed an agreement for the midfielder to remain at the club at this time, with all the dedication and commitment, always seeking the best for Fluminense in all competitions.”

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

EPL

Sporting CP manager makes Pedro Porro admission as Tottenham talks continue

Published

on


Sporting CP manager Ruben Amorim has warned Tottenham that he will not take right-back Pedro Porro out of his starting lineup until a transfer has been 100% agreed.

90min understands Tottenham are confident they will get a deal over the line for the 23-year-old eventually, but Sporting’s reluctance to budge from their asking price of Porro’s €45m release clause has led to some lengthy negotiations which are not yet over.

And while Porro is still contracted to Sporting, Amorim will not hesitate to use the right-back and risk an injury which could see the entire move collapse.

Advertisement

“Porro does not leave before the game,” Amorim said ahead of Saturday’s Allianz Cup final against Porto. “Clubs have to come first, and as far as I know, a player who is able to play and is signed up by a club, he has to go to games.

“I realise that [negotiations] involve a lot of players’ minds, but the indication I have is that Porro is fit, and the most important thing for me, as a manager, is that if he wasn’t there, there would be someone else. The game cannot be played with just one player. Porro is fit. Whatever has to happen will happen, we are prepared for all scenarios.”

Listen now as Scott Saunders hosts Graeme Bailey and Toby Cudworth to discuss the latest transfer news. On today’s agenda: Dusan Vlahovic, Anthony Gordon, Enzo Fernandes, Amadou Onana, Malo Gusto, Nicolo Zaniolo, Pedro Porro, Weston McKennie, Milan Skriniar, Maiximo Perrone & more!

If you can’t see this embed, click here to listen to the podcast!

Advertisement

Amorim continued: “Is this Porro’s last game at the club? I don’t know. There are a few days left until February 1, then everyone will know if Porro stays or leaves.

“Porro hasn’t left yet. We are scouting, but not everything is easy, you’re in a real hurry to send Porro away!”

Spurs have repeatedly tried to lower Sporting’s asking price for Porro by including at least one player in the deal, but the Portuguese side have been clear about their determination to hold out for the right-back’s release clause – in full.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Home
Live Scores
Use App
Live TV
Predictions