Declan Rice was the discussion of Twitter after he was severely left hanging by his England colleagues during Sunday’s 2-0 success in Albania.
Gareth Southgate’s side took a critical first-half lead in Tirana on account of a headed goal from Harry Kane.
But the attention quickly shifted to Rice – who had a superb game in the middle of the park.
The West Ham ace dashed over to Kane to congratulate him on his goal with England not at the races for much of the opening half an hour.
Rice stuck his hand optimistically in the air looking for a high five.
- Chelsea manager reveals he is ‘not the guy’ to speaks on the Blues’ involvement in Super League
- Leeds United 1-1 Liverpool Highlight
- UEFA president claims ‘there could Champions League without European Super League clubs’
But second after agonising second ticked by with the Hammers man’s arm still raised.
Eventually Rice gave up and jogged back to his position – but not before his painful moment was spotted by hoards of fans on Twitter.
One supporter tweeted: “Declan Rice got left hanging”, complete with a series of cry-laughing emojis.
Another wrote: “They all left Rice hanging.”
A third said: “My thoughts and prayers are with Declan Rice.”
Recent Transfers updates
- Manchester United eyeing Leicester center-back for a possible move this summer
- Kano Pillars officially unvail Super Eagles captain Ahmed Musa
- Report: Manchester United plot Raphael Varane bid in summer
- Report: Chelsea leading race for Manchester City all-time goalscorer
- Arsenal to consider Jesse Lingard as Martin Odegaard alternative