Connect with us

EPL

When do Arsenal play first after the World Cup?

Published

on


It has been a season to remember for Arsenal so far and many fans would not have wanted the 2022 Qatar World Cup to interrupt their flow, especially given it has led to a serious injury for Gabriel Jesus.

Mikel Arteta’s side are sat at the top of the Premier League table with a very healthy five-point lead over Manchester City. That is not a situation that Arsenal expected to be in after 14 games which means the attention on them will be strong when play resumes after the World Cup.

Take a look at who the Gunners will be facing when the domestic football above League One comes back following the World Cup final on December 18.

Advertisement

For many teams, the action begins just a few days after the World Cup ends as there is a Carabao Cup round to contest. Arsenal were knocked out of that tournament by Brighton, meaning they must wait until the Premier League action returns.

On Boxing Day, Arsenal have got a London derby to contend with as they take on West Ham United at the Emirates Stadium. That is kicking off at 20:00 GMT and will be a huge test of Mikel Arteta’s side and their ability to pick up where they left off before the break.

After the West Ham game, another tough test awaits Arsenal as they are away at Brighton on New Year’s Eve. That is about as straightforward as it gets in the league for Arsenal for some time though.

A home game against high-flying Newcastle United is on January 3, and then there is a much-welcomed FA Cup third-round tie against Oxford United which Arteta will hope causes no issues for his presumably rotated side.

Advertisement
Oleksandr Zinchenko, Raheem Sterling

Arsenal recently got the better of Chelsea at Stamford Bridge / Visionhaus/GettyImages

It’s straight back into the tough Premier League games after that as Arsenal have the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur on January 15, and then they host Manchester United on January 22 to round the month out.

The spell will be the most serious test of Arsenal’s title credentials so far and the pressure will mount if Manchester City start to rack up some points during this tough run of games after Christmas.

This has been Arsenal’s best season in recent memory as they have been top for many weeks and have played highly entertaining football with talented youngsters at the heart of it.

There is no reason why they cannot continue this form, but there is a natural pessimism around their title chances considering they have not won the Premier League since 2003/04. With a team like Man City on the chase, it will be very hard to hold onto top spot.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

EPL

Cody Gakpo reflects on first month at Liverpool

Published

on


Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo has opened up on his first month on the books at Anfield, admitting he is still getting used to Jurgen Klopp’s tactics.

The Dutchman was wanted by a number of elite sides, with Manchester United expected to win the race for his signature, but it was Liverpool who snuck in and agreed to pay an initial £35m to bring Gakpo to England.

The 23-year-old, who made his name as a left winger but has spent time as a striker at Liverpool, is yet to score after four appearances for his new side, but he told club media that is it just a matter of getting to grips with his new surroundings

Advertisement

“My feeling, personally, is everyone in the team has so much quality,” he said. “That is what I see in training and in phases in the games.

“It is also a part of football, that sometimes things don’t work out exactly the way you want them to. We just have to keep improving, working hard, and the quality will come out. Then, you’re going to see the real Liverpool.”

He continued: “From a football perspective, it’s a new environment on the pitch, with new players and a new team. I can tell it’s a really great group. Every day I am looking forward to working with them, to train hard and to play the games. I am trying to adapt as quickly as possible, to improve every day and in the end show the best version of myself.

“Off the pitch, to be honest, I haven’t been in the city so many times yet. Most of the time I have been in the hotel. I am moving this week, actually. That’s also something I’m looking forward to.”

Advertisement

Listen now as Scott Saunders hosts Graeme Bailey and Toby Cudworth to discuss the latest transfer news. On today’s agenda: Dusan Vlahovic, Anthony Gordon, Enzo Fernandes, Amadou Onana, Malo Gusto, Nicolo Zaniolo, Pedro Porro, Weston McKennie, Milan Skriniar, Maiximo Perrone & more!

If you can’t see this embed, click here to listen to the podcast!

Gakpo also confessed that he is still trying to adapt to his new role in Liverpool’s team.

“It is a little bit different to what I’m used to,” the Dutchman admitted. “Normally, I have played on the left for almost the past three years.

Advertisement

“It’s something I can improve, playing in the striker role, and I want to show my quality there. It’s a great position and playing there makes me more complete as a technical player.





Source link

Continue Reading

EPL

Fulham launch bid Fluminense midfielder Andre

Published

on


Fulham have made a bid to sign Fluminense midfielder Andre, 90min understands.

The 21-year-old has quickly established himself as one of Fluminense’s top players and a number of sides across Europe have expressed an interest in luring him away from his homeland in 2023.

Sources have confirmed to 90min that Fulham have approached Fluminense to try and thrash out a deal, but the Brazilian side are reluctant to part ways with their star player during the 2023 campaign.

Advertisement

Andre, who has been linked with the likes of Barcelona and Liverpool, has spoken out about the interest and insisted his focus remains solely on his current employers.

“Obviously, I’m focused and very happy,” Andre said recently. “I just renewed my contract until 2026.

“It’s normal to get offers, but I’m focused here on Fluminense and having an excellent season.”

Listen now as Scott Saunders hosts Graeme Bailey and Toby Cudworth to discuss the latest transfer news. On today’s agenda: Dusan Vlahovic, Anthony Gordon, Enzo Fernandes, Amadou Onana, Malo Gusto, Nicolo Zaniolo, Pedro Porro, Weston McKennie, Milan Skriniar, Maiximo Perrone & more!

Advertisement

If you can’t see this embed, click here to listen to the podcast!

Andre’s agent, Carlos Leite, also took to Instagram to confirm that the 21-year-old had agreed to remain with Fluminense until the end of the current campaign, which runs over the entire calendar year.

“Thanks to the great work carried out, Andre entered the radars of some of the biggest European clubs and, with that, he has received several enquiries and some official proposals,” Leite wrote.

“However, the player and Fluminense, through president Mario Bittencourt, sealed an agreement for the midfielder to remain at the club at this time, with all the dedication and commitment, always seeking the best for Fluminense in all competitions.”

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

EPL

Sporting CP manager makes Pedro Porro admission as Tottenham talks continue

Published

on


Sporting CP manager Ruben Amorim has warned Tottenham that he will not take right-back Pedro Porro out of his starting lineup until a transfer has been 100% agreed.

90min understands Tottenham are confident they will get a deal over the line for the 23-year-old eventually, but Sporting’s reluctance to budge from their asking price of Porro’s €45m release clause has led to some lengthy negotiations which are not yet over.

And while Porro is still contracted to Sporting, Amorim will not hesitate to use the right-back and risk an injury which could see the entire move collapse.

Advertisement

“Porro does not leave before the game,” Amorim said ahead of Saturday’s Allianz Cup final against Porto. “Clubs have to come first, and as far as I know, a player who is able to play and is signed up by a club, he has to go to games.

“I realise that [negotiations] involve a lot of players’ minds, but the indication I have is that Porro is fit, and the most important thing for me, as a manager, is that if he wasn’t there, there would be someone else. The game cannot be played with just one player. Porro is fit. Whatever has to happen will happen, we are prepared for all scenarios.”

Listen now as Scott Saunders hosts Graeme Bailey and Toby Cudworth to discuss the latest transfer news. On today’s agenda: Dusan Vlahovic, Anthony Gordon, Enzo Fernandes, Amadou Onana, Malo Gusto, Nicolo Zaniolo, Pedro Porro, Weston McKennie, Milan Skriniar, Maiximo Perrone & more!

If you can’t see this embed, click here to listen to the podcast!

Advertisement

Amorim continued: “Is this Porro’s last game at the club? I don’t know. There are a few days left until February 1, then everyone will know if Porro stays or leaves.

“Porro hasn’t left yet. We are scouting, but not everything is easy, you’re in a real hurry to send Porro away!”

Spurs have repeatedly tried to lower Sporting’s asking price for Porro by including at least one player in the deal, but the Portuguese side have been clear about their determination to hold out for the right-back’s release clause – in full.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Home
Live Scores
Use App
Live TV
Predictions